Wednesday, June 21, 2006

a painting groove, Garden chains, and hidden meanings



I started out with the 16x20 painting(see L)- going back to explore a painting called chains i sold earlier this year, but then as I got into it I was inspired by some paintings smart son (yes he rocks my art world) did the other day and it moved me in a botanical direction. Then i fell into a great painting groove (I have learned to only paint when i am in the right "groove" if i force myself to paint and i am not n the "groove" it always turns out wrong and i get annoyed and frustrated for putting effort into something that is not working) and in 2 nights did this 30 x40 gallery wrap version (see below)- definitely a new series i am going to be exploring- i don't think you can see the gold leaf in the pic very well it definitely has a klimt-y vibe. You all know my feelings on bollywood and i have say watching bride and prejuidice last night while I painted was keeping me loose and expressive (although i was tempted a quite a few times to put my brush down and hone my hindi dance skills).

My friend K2, I used to teach with, always asked me about my pieces- she would beg me to divulge my secret messages-the curiosity killed her. Because usually (not always) in some layer of paint hidden where no one can see (it may be buried but is nonetheless permanently there) there is hidden writing, or a specfic symbolic color choice, compositional element that has a hidden meaning. Something that only i can recognize. They are usually related to people, relationships, memories, events. They are little tributes to the "muse" of that painting. I will generally talk about the representations/meaning of the painting-- but the hidden parts are all mine- so guess away. It's like a diary written in a code no one can decipher-

5 comments:

Nettie said...

I love the new painting groove, and your new look! It suits you much better.

I thought about you as we skirted past Boston this past week. We did a spur of the moment run from the cape to Salem. I couldn't remember where you said you lived, nor could I remember the name of that bakery you mentioned. You know, the one with the giant pastries. It looks like you are having a fun and busy summer!

Missy said...

I love the hidden secrets beneath the surface of your paintings!

Julie said...

love it all - the new painting, the hidden secrets, the new look. Fun!

ShelahBooksIt said...

I love those! It looks very happy poppy-induced dreams!

Andrea said...

Nice work and i love the new look blog too!