Thursday, May 22, 2008

It's all your fault, MOM!

There are some things you pass onto your kids, things you don't intend to, whether it is genetic or environmental who knows the cause but all you know is you are responsible for it. There are those things you see in your childs and can't deny they got that from you (beyond just the ted koppel hair)

Example 1: My ss2 (3) if he isn't asleep in a few minutes has to flip his pillow over so he feels the cool sheets against his face. I do the same thing. If I don't fall asleep or have been reading in bed or something a pillow flip is a must. He has never seen me do this- yet he does it.

Example 2: My ss1 (7) was at the dentist getting sealants the other week. They gave him the remote to watch whatever he wanted on the ceiling TV. The dentist remarked to my husband "He's the first kid I've ever had who chose the news!" This same child was upset we had to get out of the car Monday am for a meeting at 9. Because he really wanted to listen to NPR , "On Point" at 10am discussing the developments of the crisis in Myanmar/Burma. He's also the child who asks you on the weekend, "Please see if wait wait don't tell me is on NPR". His poor brother (3) pleads- "No news! No NPR!". I had too had a news fetish as a child in fact when I was in first grade the NBC Nightly News was my favorite show. And believe it or not, I actually remember sitting on the gold couch in our home in South Dakota in 1980 (at age 4) watching Ronald Reagan defeat Jimmy Carter while my parents had a candlelit dinner for their anniversary in the dining room.
So boys go right ahead,this is one time you're allowed to say "It's all YOUR fault!"

9 comments:

LL said...

SS#1 could have listened to NPR at my house on Monday.
I love those kids....always entertaining.
The pillow flip is a must. Especially in the summer!!!

Arlyn said...

Now I feel like a brainless dummy. I didn't even enjoy the news until I was in college. I'm still ok if I miss the news at night. I get a lot off the internet, though. I haven't thought much about what my kids "get" from me for a while. Maybe I should pay more attention. I hope they get a little affection for singing or something else musical.

Jared said...

I've been wary about NPR for my kids for years since a mass school shooting was discussed and I forgot Brooklynn was listening (then 5) She was very upset, lots of questions. I just show snips from internet news that I have seen first. Are there shows you recommend? I am not trying to keep my kids in a bubble by any means, but I never know with live news what may come up. Maybe I worry too much.

Jared said...

I do love seeing ourselves in our children! (only the good habits)

Insane Mama said...

I agree there is so much that is passed down and things that we have not shown them, it's fascinating! and a wee bit scary

Jamie said...

Okay, but I wanted to hear some real down and dirty bad qualities you passed on. Ha Ha.

Chellie said...

I love NPR.

Trueman twins said...

There is nothing better than laying your head on clean fresh sheets. I am right the with SS#2.
It will be interesting to see what SS#3 displays! Too bad we can't pick and choose.

Amber said...

I think that's a good thing... I love Wait, Wait don't tell me (and Car Talk, and Prairie Home Companion and...)