Tuesday, May 27, 2008

deep thoughts cactus edition

So I let my son buy a cactus yesterday. The trouble Home Depot only has medium largish cacti not exactly what I had in mind, but I gave my word that a cactus would be purchased. I have yet to find a suitable home for our cactus where unsuspecting fingers will not be pricked. SS#1 learned the great law of the cactus last summer when he stopped to touch one at the beach.

So meet our new friend, Jerboa Punta Raymon. Yes, because we lack pets my children resort to naming plants. SS#1 thought long and hard and chose Jerboa after the lesser known, long haired Asian jumping rodents. SS#2 was allowed middle name selection and came up with the very random Punta Raymon (which has a good Florida retirement community ring to it).

The funniest part of the evening came when it's SS #1 said "I bet back before the modern age. People actually used cactus spikes as weapons, (chuckles softly to himself. I'm sure imagining a dimwitted Cro-Magnon man wielding a cactus) but, they probably stuck themselves a lot, trying to get them out in the first place".

Meanwhile SS#2 was sitting on the floor fashioning himself, a pair of Mexican huarache sandals out of masking tape- seriously this is why i signed up to be a mom- you never stop laughing!

Yes, that is black and red not so washable marker on his arm, Which unfortunately was also used to create a lovely drawing on my studio room carpet. That part did not have me laughing.

1. laughter 2. funny boys 3. paper towels

10 comments:

Cathy said...

Ooh, black marker on carpet. Use rubbing alcohol, but don't rub. Pour and blot. Worked wonders on my carpet.

smart mama said...

oh i haven't tried rubbing alcohol- i was doing water blot method- way to use a roll of paper towels in 20 minutes- lol

Company EIGHT said...

Love the name--and I love the attempted sandal-making! You're right--kids are REALLY funny, without even knowing it!

Jamie said...

How funny. Having entertaining kids is definitely one of the perk of being a mom.

LL said...

you MUST write a book!

Jared said...

Have to have a cactus! The only plant we can't kill.

So would rubbing alcohol hurt a table surface?

Swimmingmom said...

Kinda reminded me of an indoor cactus garden we had growing up. There was one really cool one with a round,orange top. One day the orange top was suddenly just missing. Hmm, who did that?

Lei said...

That is neat that they wanted a catus. I am anti-cacti. Lol. There are some fun varieties... but honestly? I've seen them all my life so they just don't thrill me.

Unknown said...

Bad news about the marker but hilarious about the plant naming. I think our petless home will have to resort to that!

bluestocking mama said...

ha ha. love the name! great idea to name the plants. i'm going to have to go for that one since M is wanting a dog right now (despite my telling him about the disgusting-ness of dealing with dog waste).