Monday, April 21, 2008

call me spontaneous mama

This morning I told my boys to put on their shoes we were going to watch the Boston Marathon. Seriously, I am a planner, I like to be prepared for any excursion, I like time to pack a full compliment of snacks, get detailed directions, make sure everyone is well occupied, etc. Instead this morning, I brushed my teeth and hair, put on lipstick, grabbed 3 drink boxes, 2 packs of pretzels, the camera, and off we we went. To be honest I didn't even know where I was going just drove and drove and well we wound up in Newton about mile 17. This was quite adventuresome of me to do singlehanded with 3 kids and a baby who eats every 2 hrs! It turned out to be great though. It was really fun to watch! It is such an EVENT~It is packed with cheering crowds. My boys though it was very cool. My hands hurt from clapping and I'm kind of hoarse from cheering (I can only imagine how the runners feel!) We did have Lance Armstrong run right past us- along with thousands of other people. One of ss#1's friends parents were running so we kept our eyes out for them. My boys were all excited to make a big congratulations poster and cookies to surprise them when they came home after the race (way to go P&C)! I wish I knew everyones name so I could hold up a big sign just cheering them on!!
I actually really like to run but I've had knee surgery 2x and not much cartilage left in my right knee so taking up serious running is not in my future. But I secretly wish I could do it. My best friend Shelah is an awesome runner (you can read some of her running posts here), seriously I wish I could run like her (I also wish I could look like that after 4 kids (hey I forgot i'm only at 3)- maybe it has to do with working out everyday).
Also a big shout out to my other running MOFs, like Sheree, Melodee, Rebecca, Jen, you guys really impress me-good luck in your upcoming races and I can't wait for my MOFs to rock the wasatch back this summer!
1. boston
2. marathon fun
3. cooperative kids

17 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Shelah said...

I hope the boys will be up for cheering again next year because I am going to be there if it kills me! I figure I have three more chances-- Country Music, then something in the fall, then the Texas marathon again. If I don't make it in those three races, I get an extra five minutes once I move up to the old lady bracket, lol.

It must have been cool to see Lance.

smart mama said...

LOL- posting as eddie again eh-- You so know we'll be out there with GO SHELAH posters!! I know you are going to make it-- and I can't wait!!!

It was so funny- he ran by and I was like oh thats him- he looks just like he did in the interview i saw- I had to laugh cause everyone around me was saying-- how come no one warned us he was coming!!

Emily said...

Hello hello Leslie! Yes that is me who cut up the hot dogs and so funny that I get this note from you now, when just two days ago my youngest pulled some papers out of the back of a filing cabinet only to reveal "101 ways to say I Love You--by Leslie Whyte!" Ha Ha, remember when you did that for a homemaking night! And it seems we both find ourselves with three boys, though yours seem to be spaced a bit more sanely than mine :). I loved reading through your blog and if I can pry, where do you live around Boston? We spent the first five years of our marriage in Concord, right off monument street and I loved it! I know all about tossing unwanted food off the deck and into the woods--and the ticks, ugh, there's just no way around the creepy little buggers. Anyway, thanks for dropping by and I will certainly be back!

Emily said...

p.s. How do you know Marissa?

LL said...

FUN! good for you for going, it's a must do here in MA. (at least once)

smart mama said...

emily i am so glad i found you!nothing like finding fun people from your past through the small world blog connections! As I have taught that class for homemaking i have often told your hot dog story-

so we must have overlapped we moved her in 2001. I love the parallel lives we've led LOL and your boys are darling- they look like you!

aubreyannie said...

wow! what a fun thing to go and do on a whim. i love cheering runners on. especially for the race for the cure. it always brings me to tears of pride to see people running for a purpose!

p.s. thanks for your comment on my last post. i really appreciate your insight and hope you don't think i was being shallow for wanting them in the first place.

Unknown said...

I am a trail runner but am not one up for races. I'm too competitive and I hate losing. :-)

Great that you went, though!

smart mama said...

aubrey- thats it never reading you blog again- lol-hey we'd all like to look like the ideal after all it is validating- but then when you really get into it- it raises many questions- i applaud you for thinking about instead of moving w/ the masses

amber- my trouble not competitive enough i'd be like oh this hurts, its too hard-- i am quitting

Karla said...

Good for you getting out with all the kids! I'm sure they (the ones who are old enough to remember) will never forget it!

aubreyannie said...

ha ha! well i don't think it was ever me moving with the masses. it is just rather depressing looking down at these floppy things and me wishing they could be just a little bit more full.

smart mama said...

LOL= at least there are "helpful" bras~

aubreyannie said...

ha ha. no kidding! and they just keep making them better. thank goodness for that!

Suzie Soda said...

Well running is good...but being able to paint, do flowers, make cakes, etc, etc, are talents that bless EVERYONE"S life.....so no worries. I think you look great after 3 kids.And cheering everyone on is another great talent. You ROCK!

Sheree said...

That is so awesome! How fun to get out there are experience the excitement of the Boston Marathon.

And when I was running Chicago, I was so happy to have the cheers and the crowd. It helped so much!

That would have been worth the drive just to see Lance run on by. Wow.

Andy said...

Hey! We were there too. Newton! MILE 17! Cheering for my awesome cousin. Such a small world. What an amazing experience.