Friday, September 08, 2006

since when is having babies a trend??

As you all know by now i am not a faddish, trendy person- but lately i take great offense at what is deemed the "mommy craze"- the media has been suggesting that women are having babies because "it's the cool thing to do!" and "all the celebrities are doing it!"
Recent millenia will prove women were procreating long before it was hollywood mommy chic and there were "hip maternity fashion". In fact among the western world birth rates have declined- and places like most of Europe with zero-negative population growth- I guess it's not the trend in Milan.
I find it so insulting and demeaning to actually have someone suggest that i as an educated woman am influenced in my family planning by the trends of overpaid celebrities? Because if i have children i might look like a celebrity? be like a celebrity? I might get to play with the cool kids?
Children aren't pawns, they aren't status symbols- If we are real, true parents children bring us joy, pain, struggle, sacrifice, and purpose. They ultimately teach us the meaning of life, the nature of God, and so many other things. Parenthood should be a great unifier, a great equalizer that unites us across all cultures, all races, all classes.

Don't you dare relegate the greatest work I do to the level of this season's hemlines and pants style

and for the record- I planned to become a mom long before it became "cool".

11 comments:

Rachelle said...

I agree! Motherhood was always in my plans.

Melzie said...

Your post made me smile. I admit, motherhood wasn't in my plans-- but because I was told it never woudl be. My son is my miracle baby- and I am forever grateful that I was able to have him. But heaven forbid should people have babies because it's cool. I want a baby because I love being a mom.

Code Yellow Mom said...

EXTREMELY well put. I was just noticing all the chic preggies on the fronts of magazines the other day at the grocery store. And my thought was that we (the normal people) aren't doing it to follow them, they (the hollywoodies) are doing it to fill a big gap in their movie set lives. Sad for them, great for us, that we've known all along where the real truth and drama and strength lies: in having and being and building a family. Everything else is smoke and mirrors.

Missy said...

Right on, Smartmama!

beth said...

Here, here! The media tries to put way too much emphasis on what celebs are doing. It's naive for them to think we actually care when it comes to something so much bigger than that.

Meemer said...

AND THAT IS WHY YOU ARE SMART MOMMA! Who really cares what the celbrities do.

Nettie said...

Way to nail it! Of course, as I start to dig out my dated maternity clothes in the next few weeks, I doubt if anyone will believe I chose to get pregnant to look chic and cool!

Chellie said...

...so glad someone else feels the same way. Well said. That's all we need is having kids seeminly the "cool" thing to do. Babies having babies is such a concern already.

Lei said...

Amen! I could not agree more and am also disturbed by the recent obsession... it's for all the wrong reasons!

Andrea said...

Very well said.

ShelahBooksIt said...

I don't know. It was definitely Britney Spears who coerced me into procreation.