Sunday, September 24, 2006

my special spot


As my parents can attest, I have always been very creative. As a child I was a fort builder extraordinaire, at age 4 I did amazing lashings with the cords on the blinds in our living room while my parents took their Sunday naps, I draped tables and cushions with blankets- creating my own sort of Bedouin tent world where i could read, play, daydream. Although, I get to play this out building forts with the boys, lashing parachutes to things, crawling into small spaces I still like having MY own special spot. My favorite spot now is this daybed (thanks IKEA) in my studio. I store all my blank canvases in it--and you know how i love useful things. I climb up on it and read, I sit there and critque the paintings i a working on, and envision my next paintings. It is the perfect place for those mom mornings when you are still so tired and can't really get up- I just cuddle up in a blanket on the bed while the kids play in the playroom.
It reminds me of being a child, it was like those rare moments when i used to get to sit on the counter. It is high off the ground and being a tall girl i rarely get to sit up high on anything. So if you ever come to my house- if you are lucky I'll let you enjoy my special spot

2 comments:

Nettie said...

I don't think I'd ever get anything done with such a spot. I'd spend my life napping!

Anonymous said...

What a fun cozy nook. I would love to have such a place just to sit and read.