Thursday, August 21, 2008

toiling by the faint glow of an IPod

I made it! Home from vacation that is. Yes, in one day, myself, smart daddy-o and our three smart boys travelled from Richmond, VA. to home. We broke it up with a stop off at the Air and Space Museum at Dulles (where my boys decided the IMAX theater was way to loud- and we saw the enola gay, the Concorde, the space shuttle, and tons of other cool flying things!) Then we headed to Germantown, MD to see my smart daddy-o's sister and family. The boys loved going on a walk to feed the ducks with their cousins, making their own pizzas for dinner, and just getting to hang out and be silly cousins. After dinner we hit the road and we drove from MD all the way to our home in fair New England. It was a long journey about 13 hrs total driving time with traffic stops, and detours. The trick was staying awake until 3 am and keeping my driver, smart daddy-o awake. We exhausted audio books, dvds, almost every song on the ipod, every piece of candy we had, and a variety of other distractions. The greatest trial of our journey was silencing a wailing baby who cried through part of maryland, all of delaware and a nibble of new Jersey (this included breather stops, feedings, changes, etc. ) He was just plain tired of being in a seat, despite our stops. I offered drinks of various liquids, baby food, club crackers, fingerfuls of grape bits, cool cloths, toys in all their varieties, puppet shows, smart mama dance party usa, glowing wands, flash lights, peek a boo, soft blankies- you name it. Finally the combo of food, vigorous plastic rain stick shaking, repeated blaring of Saint- saens Aquarium (from carnival of the animals) silence and slumber was achieved. He awoke and repeated this in a NJ turnpike traffic jam just before the George Washington Bridge (where of course there is no place to exit), but due to exhaustion and energy expenditure from his previous bout it was shorter in duration. By this time both the other boys had also crashed. I was left to clean up the mess from my frantic endeavors, and not wanting to chance waking anyone by turning on one of the overhead cabin lights I employed the light of my ipod as a sort of makeshift headlamp. There by the meager glow of my ipod screen I attempted to recreate van order, searching for lids, disposing of trash and half eaten materials, tucking blankets around sleeping boys, wiping up spills, and retrieving fallen crackers and finger puppets. Oh the tireless toiling of motherhood!

sorry no pictures- smart daddy-o has my camera cord hostage at work in his computer bag! Tomorrow I promise.
1. a safe trip
2. boys who were so helpful and kind tonight we decided to have a kindess party tomorrow night
3. a fridge that is no longer empty

12 comments:

Becky said...

Welcome Home! Even though vacation is so much fun, there is something about coming home that feels so wonderful. I hope you catch up on your much needed rest soon. I have another email coming to you soon - it's been a hard week. Anyway, how 'bout a lunch date? I was thinking LL, you and me could meet somewhere near you guys - or at somebody's house? I'm ready!:)

bluestocking mama said...

glad you're back safely!

Arlyn said...

Sounds so exciting and very familiar! You didn't mention the 4 year old screaming at you from behind as a shoe comes flying forward. Oh yeah, you don't have girls!

Courtney said...

Glad you're back! Unfortunately, I've experienced the wailing baby on more than one occasion. Poor guy and poor parents - there really isn't much you can do.

Tamlynn said...

Oh, you brought back a bad memory about being stuck on the NJ turnpike trying to get home from Cape Cod. Dd had vomited all over her self and carseat and there wasn't anything we could do except change her clothes, soak it up and strap her back in.

Glad you're home safe. Bring on the fall!

LL said...

I am NOT the thoughtful friend I had hoped to be. I wanted treats waiting to welcome you home...i'm sorry!
How about "better late than never" I must bring you good tidings. I'm so glad you've returned!
WELCOME BACK
and YES!!!! to lunch with Mrs. Orton!

Anonymous said...

glad you are home safe and that is a ton of driving!!

smart mama said...

thanks everyone-

becky- anytime!I'd love to link up- my schedule is wide open! my house is always open or we can meet up- i am sorry it's been a tough week- really i think about you a couple times a day...

Smilin' sunshine said...

Glad you are back!! Welcome Home and probably to reality!

Trueman twins said...

Hooray for the progress of getting life back into order! I am so glad that you're home and that you made it through the long drive! Sounds like you pulled out all the stops and prevailed!

Unknown said...

You are the mom. That's like a better version of telling someone "you're the man!" Because being the mom means everything you described, and more. And living through it to tell about it! Welcome back, smart mama--looking forward to those smartest vacation pics!

smart mama said...

jenny your comment made me laugh