Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Athlete envy? Olympics for smart daddy-o?

I'll admit it I am a sap, I am a sucker for the theatrical, parade of nations at the Olympics. Seriously, I always start crying just thinking of the dedication and achievement of all the athletes, especially those who train under primitive conditions. All the costumes, the cheering, the sense of unity and support, I just can't get enough of it. It's such an inspiring celebration of countries and cultures. It gives me pauses to respect the struggles of people all around the world and our common humanity.
Along with all this I also get a good dose of Olympic athlete envy, I mean after all who isn't secretl covetous of the cool outfits, the sponsors, and a super fun party in an exciting international venue (forget the grueling tests of extreme physical performance). Along with all of that come the perks of being disciplined, pushing your body to its ultimate level of performance, and being famous and admired by small children. So really I think I'd dig the life of an olympic athlete.
Just as i was musing on my desire to be in the Olympics, a true pipe dream, I saw the delegation from Guam enter. Wait Guam get's a spot in the Olympics! How did i miss this? My husband was born on Guam (as was another guy i dated- really i started wondering if i had a sign on me that flashed-"dates Guamanians!") An American citizen but technically, also a Guamanian! Here is my in~sure he's 36, engineer father of 3, but he's 6'2" and can hold his own in a sport. Surely he could find himself something. I began peppering him with questions on his best sports. I suggested some of the more obscure sports- maybe table tennis, archery, trampoline? One that required less physical stamina and more mental acuity? I assured him I'd be OK with summer or winter games.
He assured me that becoming a world class athlete wouldn't really fit in the family schedule, already over packed with work, mowing the lawn, high council speaking assignments, and taking ss#1 to music lessons. I don't give up that easily. So I am pushing-feel free to join me in my campaign. Smart daddy-o in London 2012 for Guam! He's got 4 yrs to qualify?? I don't see what the problem is.


my thankful 3
1. my cute guamanian husband!
2. choose your own topping donuts
3. olympic fun

15 comments:

bluestocking mama said...

wow, guam? who knew? oh, and i vote for table tennis. go, smart-daddy-O!

Courtney said...

Too bad Shelah lives so far away - she could train him to run marathons.

Courtney said...

Too bad Shelah lives so far away - she could train him to run marathons.

Anonymous said...

yeah I second table tennis!! LOL. I love the Olympics but man I'm getting very little sleep staying up so late to watch it.

Holly said...

I totally think air hocky should be added as a sport. It takes some serious skillz and I kill my husband everytime. We have been married 8 years and he has beat me once. Good times! :)

Go Guam 2012 for Smart Daddy-O!

Chellie said...

I will be watching for him.

Becky said...

Loved this post. I was just remarking to my husband how awesome it must be to be an oympian athlete. I was one on a much smaller scale and it was fabulous. How about archery? By the way...I received your package today and wanted to thankyou! I'll email you later.

Holly said...

I recieved by bowl full of cherries today. My day is now complete. Thank you so much again!

Gilbert Family said...

I say go for it Daddy-O! Table tennis is one of my favorite things to do so he should pursue that!

I wanna know what event Becky was part of! Do tell...

smart mama said...

yes becky I want to hear about your pursuits-
ps glad your pkgs arrived- the post office here is speedy

Sonja said...

I love that table tennis idea, it SHOULD be an Olympic sport! Very sweet post, your husband is lucky to have a doting wife.

Company EIGHT said...

I have had athlete envy as well, so I know where you're coming from! My vote is for table tennis too--you can practice all year long inside, which is what you need for where you live! :)

LL said...

very cute...WE MISS YOU GUYS! return to us, please. hope you're enjoying your vaca.

Anonymous said...

hi-say would you mind sharing a simple pattern for the large kleenex box? i would like to make one with plastic canvas or try it anyway. thanks so much-sue in bend, oregon

smart mama said...

sue- I used a prefabbed paper mache box- sorry I can't help?