Wednesday, August 27, 2008

he inherited taste!

So lately I have been on a contemporary binge. I am tired of the boxey New England living. I want more light, more open spaces, cleaner lines. I have been stealing away in my bathtub reading Dwell magazine and dreaming of my next house being one of these. (check them out- click on one) The other day at Target I saw this little side table a rough cheap knock off an Eero Saarinen Tulip Table. So I bought it and brought it home, while it doesn't totally satisfy my table craving. I am settling for a $20 snack as opposed to a $2000 design feast.
My husband saw the table and asked in a stern tone "Where are you planning to put another table?" I am sure thinking I needed a little white metal side table about as much as I need a hole in the head. I had to remind him that I had been hankering for a tulip table and he should accept this cheap alternative and go quietly on his way. Although an engineer who designs things for a living, he has yet to acquire the same aesthetic sense as his artist wife. I am still known to frequently veto his clothing choices before parties, critique his arrangement of things, put my foot down and say absolutely not to some things, and retain firm control over design choices.
Fast Forward to sometime this morning when my 7 year old exclaims jubilantly, "Mom! Where did we get this table? Seriously, I think this is the best looking table we have ever had. (calls to his brother) Come look at this table. It is really the neatest design ever".
Sorry honey- even our 7 year old knows good design when he sees it. he inherited that from me.

6 comments:

Trueman twins said...

Sleek, modern and functional. What's not to love? I agree with the 7 year old!

Anonymous said...

I think it is great. And LOL at the difference of opinion btwn the smart daddy and smart boy.

Company EIGHT said...

he's a smart son for sure!!

Lynn and Sherry Whyte said...

So where is the table going??

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

too funny!

i actually had an archetecture dream last night. it was wild. and hard to wake up to my boring, cookie cutter house.

Swimmingmom said...

Hmm, not too much dreaming there missy- we like you in your NE colonial! Fun table though!