Saturday, November 01, 2008

What? I've been walking around in 7's?

My husband gave me a few hours of solo shopping time and a stack of Am Ex gift cards for my birthday 6 months ago and today I finally cashed in. I started at Marshall's because I am indeed shamelessly shoportunistic. I piled a cart high with items. The dress room patrol lady's eyes widened as I approached. I explained to her a few sentences at a times as I returned every 10 minutes for a new stack of 8 garments. That I really wasn't sure what size I was or what styles looked good on me any more. After whittling down the cubic yard, I checked out with 2 bags. I proceeded on to express (my $30 off 75$ coupon in hand) with the design of getting a new white shirt. possibly some jeans and some cute sweater vests on sale. After relying on the advice on the 20 something old salesgirl eyeing my backside in various pants, I left with another bag.

I proceeded to fashion show for smart daddy-o. A while back we switched form the "looks nice" "kind of cute" " I guess it 's okay" subjective ambiguity to a strict 1 to 10 rating scale. Engaged in a game of chess I was not getting full attention. We did a preliminary round and then the strong competitors went on for a second round of numerical judging. green shirt ...6... really?... (ok return), chunky grey sweater...8...(keep), new jeans #1...8... (keep), new jeans #2...9...(keep), then just to get a reference of the new clothes to my current closet. I put on the jeans I wore shopping knowing he wouldn't recognize they weren't new...7... (seven is the fence between keep and return)
"What I have been walking around in 7's! Well then I guess it's a good thing I went shopping today isn't it. You told me when i bought these 2 1/2 years ago they looked really good!"
We worked through the rest of the pile.
"humph, So what is a 10?"
"I don't know, I guess I'll tell you if I see it," my husband laughed.
"So this isn't fair, this elusive ten, nothing is a ten then, really is there no ten?" comically jesting my husband that perhaps this ten was elusive due to the body wearing the clothes and not to the actual items themselves??
Really I have only received a 3 a few times for something he thought beastly ugly. A 5 is his way of saying-- NOT GOOD! So I guess next time I'll say on a scale of 3-9.
1. birthday presents redeemed 2. silent shopping 3. bargain candy

15 comments:

ellen said...

Maybe "nothing" is a ten...

Anonymous said...

I don't think I've owned anything I felt was a 10. And that is great scale. I'm laughing at the fact you put on the jeans you already have and he didn't notice.

Alissa said...

ooh... a shopping spree. a kidless shopping spree? it's like a dream come true.

Company EIGHT said...

oooh, that shopping trip sounds fun!! Lol about the rating system--we have done that for years too, everything from clothes to baby names! Much more efficient!

Unknown said...

You've come up with a great system, and a great way to feel unabashed about modeling clothes--distract the judges with a game of chess. I'm going to try that next time I want my husband's rating. Loved this! Cute.

Charlotte said...

Maybe lingerie equals a 10?

LL said...

I'm with Ellen, we all know how to earn a 10. Although, the pants you had on Friday were SUPER cute on you...I think I gave you a 10.
Can't wait to see the new stuff.

Anonymous said...

Clothes shopping can be so fun and depressing at the same time!! I am glad you found a few fun things.

smart mama said...

LL- there must be an inter-rater reliability issue, maybe I should have polled the houses I went trick or treating to...

Becky said...

HOW'd I MISS THIS POST? where have i been? i faithfully check daily. sorry i'm late to this party. loved this post. loved that you got to go shopping by yourself. i've missed hearing from you. we want your daily posts back. i promise to rate you a 10 everyday!;)

Christy said...

I'm so glad you were able to cash in!
Bring some friends along next time, we will make you feel like a hottie! I have the same problem of saving up gift cards.
(i;m late too..can;t seem to stay up late and blog!)

Trueman twins said...

I am glad that you got some good alone time retail therapy! That elusive 10 it always seems beyond our grasp! You were crackin' me up with the ratings!

bluestocking mama said...

you lost me to daydream-land as soon as you mentioned solo shopping. sigh.

and congrats on getting a 9 jean!

Tamlynn said...

See, this is how sleep deprived I am. I thought you were talking about a SIZE 7. And I thought, "What in the heck is she complaining about?"

Anonymous said...

LOL! That cracks me up!!! That IS a good idea.