Monday, July 21, 2008

piece of the week- chain branch red

This piece is a cousin to this one I did a few years back. I love exploring a series. It is 24x24. I gold leaf the entire canvas face then paint over it- I have fun with this technique because I love how it plays with the transparency of the paint of reflective light. It is always different depending on the angle you view it from. I also love the warmth that the gold leaf adds. It also adds a warmth.
1. more new legos
2. orange julius that stayed in the blender
3. playing instruments at family night

9 comments:

bluestocking mama said...

ooo, i really like this one! nice job!

Courtney said...

I love this one too!

LL said...

me too! love it.
do you have a studio night date?

Melissa said...

I really like it! So when do we get to submit our names for your next give away!!!!

I have a great spot to hang one of your paintings!!

smart mama said...

melissa- thanks for reminding me- i totally forgot july giveaway (well i was out of the town at the beginning of the month so i figured i'd start it when i got back)- I will try to get it up by tomorrow!

Tamlynn said...

nice!

General question: How do you pack the paintings for shipping?

smart mama said...

tamlynn I usually wrap in plastic wrap (the heavy duty commerical kind or tissue paper then depending on size and ground- a small board back the front and back w/ cardboard, 11x14 i just pack in a manilla envelope. 16x20s, 18x24s I usually again back the front and back with flat cardboard (like a painting sandwich and wrap in some waterproof sticker paper I have) If it is large 24x24 or larger I usually put an extra flat piece of cardboard against the canvas face so nothing denst it and mail it in a box it's size- I save all my dick blick boxes so I can reuse them to mail the same size paintings- if the box is too big I cut it down a bit- MAke sense?

andrea said...

holy cow. Is it for sale? I hope so...because I need it. Or maybe I can comission you to do something similar? I lurve it.

smart mama said...

thanks pang- they are always for sale on my gallery page although friends get a discount!