Friday, July 14, 2006

"deep (berry) thoughts"

one of my favorite "deep thoughts" by jack handey (of early 90's SNL fame) was

When you die, if you get a choice between pie heaven and regular heaven... you should choose pie heaven. It might be a trick, but if not mmmm...boy!

The same though might be applied to berries- as much as I hope to get to heaven- berry heaven might be a tempting second choice.

This week blueberries and raspberries started and they were divine.A plentiful supply of giant, flavor bursting fresh berries awaited us at our favorite local farm where we go and pick. Smart baby has ingested so many berries i am expecting him to go all willy wonkaesque giant blueberry on me at any moment (see him leering a the luscious berries)

As well as freezing many pounds to serve my daily smoothie needs- I made my favorite blueberry lemon torte-a delish breakfast- it tastes all the better when you haven't eaten breakfast for 3 days because you have been wildly busy!

11 comments:

ShelahBooksIt said...

yum! I can mail you the blueberry cake recipe if you want it. It's even better cooked all the way through and with lemon!

Julie said...

You said you made a lemon blueberry torte and didn't even post the recipe? What's up with that?

(in other words, please post the recipe. Ummm, thanks)

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

mmmmmmmmmmmm!! I love berries. and pie. and heaven. or at least i plan to love heaven. all three combined would be great.

Missy said...

I second the recipe sharing!! I love anything with berries in it! YUM :)

Valarie said...

yum! berries, pies, berry pies...

Gabriela said...

Yum.Yum.Yum. I love berries. And, to pick them??? They taste so much better. I am so jealous.

Stacy said...

Oh I so wish I were with you! I want to go berry picking!

And I *heart* Jack Handy!!!

utmommy said...

Looks and sounds soo yummy!

I would totally choose pie heaven :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to say that I am totally satisfied not having a recipe to the Blueberry torte recipe, but who are we kidding I am pregnant and not a good liar.

Anonymous said...

smart mama, I love your blog, I loved reading about smart boy in the merky waters. And the berry picking. I was so sad not to be in New Englad this spring/summer to pick berries at our favorite farm that you introduced us to.

We miss your fun family and hope you are all doing great!!!

JKSJ&J

Jane said...

How fun!
I remember blue berry picking from our days in New England. They seem to grow bigger and jucier there.

Looks like you had fun.