Friday, December 04, 2009

Gingerbread Star Wars Ewok Village

Every year our quaint New England town (pop 8000) does a Christmas festival, trolleys take you through the town and stop at all the local farms, businesses, and churches. For some festive local food and activities. The schools do a gingerbread house display. The last two years I've been too busy but I promised the boys we'd do something fun this year.

As an artist, I am not the type to do the regular gingerbread house (I will readily admit a love of kitschy edible things). Honestly though, how fun is it to go to a gingerbread house show where they all look the same. I just can't do the matching candy canes by the door and gumdrop roofline. So I brainstormed with my three boys and they decided it would be fun to do an star wars gingerbread entry so we made an edible Ewok village from Return of the Jedi.

We wrapped a wooden base in drk green wrapping paper and cellophane. The trees were made from rice krispie treats (formed in plastic cups) coated in chocolate. The bunker is made from hershey bars, andes mint cookies, and oreo straws. The trees are made of mini cones and fruit loops. The green candies gummy frogs, Mike and Ikes, spearmint mints, green m&m's, watermelon gumballs, green lifesavers. Also included tootsie rolls, pb cups, black licorice.

The edges are done with mint oreos. The ewoks, R2D2, & C3PO are made of fondant. (C3PO's chair is made or pretzels lashed together with fondant and has a graham seat.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Seth will love this although i am a bit afraid to show him in case he wants to try his hand at recreating it. great job.

smart mama said...

you can totally do it courtney!

Shelah said...

looks awesome! I saw this gingerbread house this morning and thought of you:

http://grassrootsmodern.com/2009/12/04/modern-gingerbread-house-plans-from-hometta/

Trueman twins said...

My kids had to analyze every single candy and also decide if the ewoks were made of fondant or modeling chocolate. Then we read your blog and found out it was chocolate. They don't get that knowledge from me- to many cake decorating shows on TLC. They loved it! What a fun project to do together!

Trueman twins said...

oops I meant fondant...

LL said...

FUN!
Way to go...every ewok needs a house!

Lynn and Sherry Whyte said...

Dad said, wouldn't it be fun to have a Mom like you? How true. You do such fun and creative things with your children. We loved it! I bet it was a hit at Chain of Lights (which I missed enjoying this year!). What a fun idea!