Tuesday, March 13, 2007

the rules are changing

seriously, someone keeps forgetting to give me the memo on the "new normal"

I have blogged before about children's birthday parties going out of control-I don't know where i was but the cost of the party locations be at least 15-20$ per child- then the gift bags, and don't get me off on presents Seriously smart son got a gift card from a girl who didn't even attend his party that was 60% of the entire budget I spend on his Christmas gifts.

And babysitters- I used to get 2$ an hr growing up- the going rate around here is $10-- what happened to the babysitting rate to minimum wage ratio?

Next item on the agenda --bottled water- when you go to someones house and they offer you a drink of water no longer is it cool to get it from the tap, not even from your filtered ice and water dispenser- the new thing is their very own sealed bottle- seriously.

It's not that i am not all for generosity but -- whoa...

Anyway I must be missing the meeting when they vote in the new rules- or maybe they didn't invite me because i'd object...

6 comments:

Gabriela said...

I hear ya-on all counts! (well, except for the bottled water one-I can't really serve people tap water here in Big City-don't think they'd appreciate it!).

Alissa said...

ditto... ditto... ditto...

at my house. you get water in a pitcher.

my bday parties are ULTRA LAME... 1. they're done at my house or a free park and 2. i spend less than 5$/kid on favors.

Amber said...

My favorite favor? A pinata (homemade) filled with $10 worth of candy/toys. All kids get a bag and fill er up. So my time to make the pinata and $10 worth of junk divided by 15ish kids and I feel good about that.

Kids don't know the difference in how much you spend. Seriously. I about died when we went to a party for a 5 year old and they had a waterslide, clown, magician, spiderman, and grilled for 50+ people who came. It was insane.

Sabra at Sew a Straight Line said...

I guess it helps that I live out hicksville, Rural, USA. THings here are still pretty simple. Good thing, because I'm super cheap :)

Zoe said...

LOL! I love that!! Humm, bottled water. That is so funny. What a nice friend! :)

aubrey said...

yeah. bday parties can get expensive. BUT, if your kid is getting pricey presents like that, it's totally worth it. that's how ava's party was. she got GREAT stuff and we didn't buy her anything because of that fact. but, still.

the whole bottled water thing is new to me. i'm not that kind of a hostess. i'll give them purified water from the fridge. maybe with a lemon slice. but bottled water? i think they would look at me funny if i handed them a bottle. maybe not. i'll try it next time i have guests over and report on what their reaction is.