Thursday, October 22, 2009

domestic series continues


Well here are art and artist shots of the next two pieces in my domestic series both are 30x40" and I have 3 more in the works. I'd really love to do a series of 10-15. The red one is titled Full Plate and the pink one is titled A Piece of Cake. I am enjoying painting them and the challenge painting in a different style brings. As a someone who used to teach family studies at the college level it's fun to create art that relates to my academic loves of the study of family life and roles. So on to dish-washing and laundry I go (both in paintings and real life).
I love piece of cake piece because doing the preliminary photo involved actually making this amazing triple layer pound cake (known as best birthday cake) which made my whole family excited. So I guess this also qualifies it as a certian form of performance art or an event. The cake let me use my favorite late 1950's cake tender which I bought on my first ever trip to maine and looks so cool with my fav breakfast nook mcm mirror (the one my husband cracked while hanging). My friend Jenny can take credit for the muffins under the cake tender, which we made in a day of mass cooking, and the tea cart joined our household after we were married 10+ years ago, we got it from my Uncle Alan's mother Rose, after her death. And yes might correctly recognize those as the FLOR carpet tiles in my dining room. Both aprons were made by my great grandmother (although slightly modified in the paintings). So the really fun thing is the paintings are loaded with sentimentality and connection.
On another note I am quickly becoming aware of my lack of heels and yes my husband will be picking up a great mid century bench this weekend from a craigslist score- look for it coming soon to a painting near you.
1.a baby who is talking all the time 2. supportive friends 3.70 degrees in october- a New england rarity

8 comments:

Becky said...

you are simply amazing...and beautiful. :) LOVE these.

bluestocking mama said...

these might be my favorites so far!

ellen said...

Those are so cool!!

Shelah said...

Good call on the red shirt! They both look awesome!

Company EIGHT said...

I'm with bluestocking mama...LOVE them!

Michelle said...

DIBS ON THE CAKE PICTURE. Seriously. Awesome.

Unknown said...

How did I miss this post???!!!!
YOU.have.been.BUSY.
Standing ovation from the town northward.
BRAVO!!!

Zoe said...

I LOVE your domestic series!!! Seriously, how do you find the time?! You are soooo talented, you should really be showing in a gallery. I wish that I could afford one - though NONE of those paintings portray me as a housewife - hummm, maybe if you did one in jammies with a child hanging off of her back?!! :P