Thursday, October 26, 2006

College Boyfriend Breadsticks

I love food, I really love food. Especially good food (as my friend shelah can attest) And one of my favorite foods of late- "college boyfriend breadsticks". See I had this boyfriend, KC, who I dated for most of my college years. (he was a good cook, he can't take credit for this recipe but "college boyfriend's friend's wife's breadsticks" is too long of a title- and "college boyfriend breadsticks" makes for much more interesting dinner conversation) Here's how they came to be-- Once we (me and KC) went to dinner at the home of one of his friend's, D & N. Well, in the course of the evening his wife and I made these breadsticks and they were so good. The one part that stuck in my head was that one of the ingredients was malted milk powder. I meant to get the recipe but then D&N moved and I broke up with KC and my hopes of getting the recipe were dashed. So for the 11 years since that night, I have thought about these breadsticks. I was thinking about them again as I was driving home from church a few months ago and decided I WOULD find the recipes. So when I walked in the door, I went immediately to the computer and scoured the internet for breadstick recipes with malted milk powder. I had searched before but this time I finally found one posted by someone with the screen name homegirl who claimed she got the recipe from her college roommate. Well I experimented a little and made some modifications and here they are... They are fast, easy, and excessively yummy- think breadstick nirvana

College Boyfriend Breadsticks
Dissolve- 1 Tbsp. yeast
2 Tbsp sugar
1 1/2 c. warm water

Then Add- 1 Tbsp. malted milk powder
1 tsp. salt
3- 3 1/2 cups flour

Mix together well. Melt 1/4 c. butter. Pour half of the butter in 9x13" pan. press dough in pan. Pour remaining butter on top. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle lightly with Garlic salt. Let rise for 15-30 min. Then bake at 400 for 12-15 minutes.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Malted milk powder, ey?

:o)

ShelahBooksIt said...

After reading this I have one of those unfortunate pg woman cravings for his baked penne with white sauce. You don't happen to have that recipes, do you?

smart mama said...

I have had that same craving- i think i will have to request the pastichio recipe when is end this years Christmas card!

Anonymous said...

um, where would you find malted milk powder??

Amber (drooling)

smart mama said...

umm local grocery store- by ovaltine type stuff- I should post a picture- but alas I can't resist them long enough to take a picture- they are so so good!

Anonymous said...

so after you cook the dough in the 9X13 pan, do you just cut them into breadsticks?

smart mama said...

yes- they are pretty thick- couple inches- probably more akin to a commercial cheese bread-